Website powered by

Senior Project (Character FX & Pipeline)

On the character front on our senior film, I worked on hair generation, grooming, and overall pipeline. I also provided assistance with clothing simulation, although the bulk of the work there was done by Fritz Dittmer (https://www.artstation.com/fdittmer9762). On the pipeline front, I created the pipeline by which we took animated models from Maya and placed them in Houdini, with hair and clothing ready to go. For the transition, we used the Alembic format, which would populate within a net of Houdini Digital Assets which automatically generated hair and clothing for each scene. These assets had a variety of controls to make work within scenes more optimized and convenient. I also set up character materials within these assets for use in Redshift .

Unfortunately, this project was a victim of COVID-19. Our labs got shut down a couple months before completion.

I groomed the boy's hair in this scene, as well as set up materials. I provided assistance on the clothing simulation.

I groomed the boy's hair in this scene, as well as set up materials. I provided assistance on the clothing simulation.

I groomed and rigged the princess's hair. The princess's braid is dynamic, being controlled by a spline-based bone chain. This spline for the most part was animated via vellum simulation, providing realtime hair simulation adequate for our needs.

I groomed and rigged the princess's hair. The princess's braid is dynamic, being controlled by a spline-based bone chain. This spline for the most part was animated via vellum simulation, providing realtime hair simulation adequate for our needs.

Set up the first pass fin vellum simulation, shown here. Further tweaking was accomplished by Fritz Dittmer (https://www.artstation.com/fdittmer9762).